Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Our trip to Durango

Just got back on Monday from our trip. I wouldn't call it a vacation for these reasons:
1. Going to visit your Grandma to introduce her to her FIRST great-grandchild before she passes away is not fun and very sad.
2. Walking up 2 flights of stairs at least 4 times every hour is not a vacation, it is a workout.
3. Being snowed in and not able to go shopping is kind of boring.

It started snowing on Friday while we were driving through the Indian Reservation after Albequerque (sp?), NM. It didn't stop snowing until the same place on Sunday. I love snow. I never see snow unless it is in a picture. Laura is jealous. HAHA.

John went skiing on Saturday at the Durango Mountain Resort. My Aunt, Dad, Caroline and I went to visit my Grandma in her nursing home. I knew this would be hard. I didn't know how my Dad would react and frankly, I was more worried about him. I held up the carrier so Grandma could see Caroline and she looked at her and mumbled. She can't communicate, but she KNEW who she was looking at. I cried. We went back to another room and took Caroline out of her carrier. Grandma just watched me and watched Caroline. We put her in her lap against her left arm, which is strapped to her wheelchair to help keep her propped up. She can't move her left side. Caroline just looked around and was a perfect angel. We took some pictures and my Aunt asked me to pull Caroline's sweater down. Before I could do it, Grandma reached over with her good hand and pulled it down. I can't imagine what it must be like to comprehend everything around you, but not be able to communicate back with those that love you. I hope that seeing Caroline was good for Grandma. I don't expect her to get any better b/c of this visit. If for some reason she was waiting to see Caroline and can let go, I'm OK with that too.

On Sunday, we went back to the nursing home before we left and John came with us this time. Grandma was worn out. She kept falling asleep and was having a drooling day. She has Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. I'll say it again, b/c I can't stop thinking it...I can't imagine what it must be like. I don't think I would want to live like that.

We split the drive again and stayed in Amarillo, TX on Sunday night. We arrived around 10:30pm to a RAGING wind and news of wildfires. On the drive home, we drove through smoke...or so I'm told. I was sleeping. As of right now, 11 people have died in those West Texas fires and they are still going! At 5:00 today, John told me that the fire is only 50% contained. That is not good.

I am worn out. Worn out from the drive, worn out from the emotional visit, and worn out from all the stairs. Why am I not sleeping yet?

1 comment:

stacey said...

Your post made me cry. How sweet that Caroline was able to meet her great-grandma though.